Saturday, July 5, 2014

terrible imported junk furniture

Just a quick post.  For the first time in my life, I happened to be near a Restoration Hardware store, and went in.  I post this because I get emails from people with pictures attached saying, "can you build this but in my size?"  my answers vary and are hard to give, but basically come down to these basic things...

1.  I will not copy someone elses work. There is not a challenge in doing this, and I have had it done to me so many times, and a couple people are literally building a business off my designs, so I would not do the same.  I want to build unique, handcrafted, durable, high quality items with no corners cut.

2. This will echo number 2 a bit, but I will not build junk like the store mentioned or others that easily come to mind.  Or for that matter some of the people copying me.  I spend a lot of time on the details, and others do not.  Not to mention I use the highest quality wood, rivets, and bolts, and finishes available.  It all cost me more time and money, but I truly want it to last.  Back to Restoration hardware.  They sell cheap soft woods like pine that are unfinished and will never hold up to any kind of use, along with a strange coating and very cheap imported scrap metal for materials.  It all adds up to a very flimsy, and disappointing product.  What I do and these other stores are not even comparable.  I spend hours picking out materials and pouring over decisions, and my patina process along with clear coat can take 3-4 days and is genuine. Not some sprayed on paint coating.  I know my wife went to touch the fake door lock on one of the pieces at Restoration Hardware and it was not a door lock at all but how you opened the door.  We could hardly control our laughter.  There is a reason they have very dim lighting in the store. Think about it.

My purpose here is not necessarily to put these other stores down, but it all goes back to why I started my business.  I was tired of buying junk, and learned from the saying "you get what you pay for" .  I cant think of many times if any where I spent less money and was actually happy in the end.  There was always that regret that was hard to admit out  in the open.  All to save a few hundred dollars, but in the end I never saved anything, because I ended up selling the piece of junk I bought a starting the search again.  What I do is so far different than any of these big chain stores.  If you really dont think there is a difference and just want the cheapest product there is, then they may be a fit for you and I urge you to buy from them.  You will have to learn the lesson on your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment